I caught a pretty serious case of the Februaries recently. Do you have it? Is it going around? Is it contagious? Should I stay home till it passes?
The symptoms are this:
- Do you suddenly dislike most everything?
- Do you think that you are the worst, at everything, of all the people, in the entire world?
- Do you sort of want to stay in bed most mornings?
- Did you just feed your children french fries and hot dogs and call it supper (and then loathe yourself some more?)
- Is at least one entire room of your house covered in something that should not be there (master closet = 7 inches of clean laundry)
I know it sounds dramatic, I promise it isn’t. Just one of my hundred or so quirks. I’m really not looking for attention. I’m just telling you…its February…it happens. And when it strikes, strange things happen. Like for example:
In a fit of self-loathing the other day, I deactivated my facebook account. I don’t really know why. I just sort of decided I was sick of myself. I felt like a little old bitty sitting on a front porch making fun of weirdos on the street. My husband came home from work and I told him thirteen things I learned about people on facebook. Barf.
Turns out it was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, so it seems appropriate to fast from something anyways. Apparently mine is facebook. Huh.
It is the season for gritting your teeth, digging deep, realizing that in fact, you are not a monster…but you are only human. Frailty is a gift. It helps you remember exactly what you are.
But in His hand? On that Cross? Absolutely Restored.
Easter is coming (and hallelujah, February is awfully close to over!).
Obviously this was a five minute free write on the theme “grit”. Linking with: